Monday, March 30, 2015

#BeBright

Since 2013 I've dealt with a hamstring-injury that simply will not go away - granted a lot of it is my own fault.  Like most running injuries it is the result of not enough rest, little to no stretching, and a general lack of active-recovery.  The end result is I now have one leg disproportionately more developed than the other from overcompensation and a whole slew of muscular imbalances on top of the original hamstring issue.

Long story short: my hamstrings don't like working together, and because of that neither do my hips, my glutes, my quads, or anything else....

After a long day of running or sitting - like yesterday - my hamstring is always a little achy and usually after some stretching and sleep I wake up with it A-O-K...but not today.  I woke up this morning with my hammy still REALLY achy from the previous day - to the point it's actually uncomfortable for me to sit while I write this :(

I decided to postpone/cancel my morning run (that I was sooooooo looking forward too) and instead write a blog on the importance of recovery and taking care of yourself as a runner, an athlete, and as an individual.

Runners in particularly become really dependent on their activity to balance themselves - it's a release from the drudgery of daily doubts, it's a social excursion with your buddies, it's an opportunity to punish yourself for perceived transgressions....  As runners we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to run - regardless of how we feel, injury, weather, etc - it becomes what defines us: running.  Because of this many of us end up dealing with preventable injuries and incidentally deal with prolonged injuries poorly.  For me, prolonged injuries have almost always led to incidences of depression - when 98% of your social activities revolve around running it's easy to feel like the communities third-wheel being hurt.

I think there's a lot to take away from this though.  I think as runners it's important for us to acknowledge the importance of getting into the habit of stretching and active-recovery long before one feels need.  Not only will it set us up to be stronger athletes but will also avert injury and the doubts and depression that can follow - incidentally making us better, stronger individuals.  And as better, strong individuals we'll be able to enjoy life and the experiences it garners - all of them, not just those tied to running.

I think it's also important to acknowledge that running or being a runner is not the sole definer.  The positivity or joy one derives from an activity was always present in some fashion within ourselves and we should learn to let that joy, that positivity define us inasmuch as the catalyst (activity) does.  

Until further notice - #RunHappy and #StayPositive 

Oldie but Goodie'

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I can relate to a lot of it as an old ankle injury has led to knee pain and noticable imbalances in muscle strength on the left side of my body. I love your honesty and perspective. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete